Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Arrival in Amman

November 25, PM

I have joined a Global Exchange Delegation; War and Displacement in the Middle East.

Post by Don Bryant 


I arrived in Amman, Jordan at 7PM, Tuesday, November 25. First you must exchange $20 to Dinars and pay tax. $20 = 13 Dinars, and the tax costs 10 Dinars.

Then you must get your passport stamped. Then go to baggage claim. All the while I was my friend from Cleveland, Mai's, brother n 'law. Husam would take me to the hotel. I held up a paper with my name printed in large letters. Husam would also hold up a sign with his name and my name on it. I did not see him, so I went to baggage claim. An airport worker immediately wanted to help me locate my luggage, two large suitcases. One was filled with things for Teeba's family in Dialya Province, Iraq and the other for Husam's family in Amman.


The luggage was not there, the Jordanian airport worker told me. It was left in the Paris, France airport. Good thing I had most of my things in my carry-on bag. Another airport worker spoke up , asking if I was going to Baghdad. Why would he ask me this? I never said I was going there, but Teeba's family's things were eventually headed there. I never officially claimed this to any airport personnel. I did post this fact on my blog and emailed our group leader, Khalid, asking him if the suitcase could be delivered there for Teeba's family to pick up. Hmm? 


No comments: